water bottle

Summer 101: Surprising Food and Drinks to Keep You Hydrated

Summer 101: Surprising Food and Drinks to Keep You HydratedOne of the most noted tips in staying hydrated year-round is drink plenty of water, particularly during the summer. Meanwhile, summer or not, keeping hydrated all the time is doubly true for persons with medical conditions. According to the American Heart Association, people who have certain medical conditions such as diabetes and heart disease need plenty of water, as do people with cystic fibrosis. The disease deposits too much sodium when perspiring, so regular water intake is also needed for better hydration.

In addition, keeping hydrated is also a must for some who are taking medicines, since a number of medications act as diuretics which causes the body to secrete more fluids.

However, although it is already common knowledge that hydration is needed for a healthy life, there are some who are more at risk of heat stroke and dehydration since for them, drinking water everyday becomes a tedious chore.

How will you liven up drinking but at the same time, keep it healthy? Mix it up, of course! There are some alternative drinks – and surprisingly, foods – that keep you hydrated just as well as drinking water regularly.

There may be unbelievers out there who have one-track mind when it comes to hydration, and accepts water is the only source of staying hydrated. However, the Institute of Medicine actually says that although a large portion (around 80 percent) of daily hydration needs comes from water and beverages, we get the remaining 20 percent from eating foods.

Here are some alternative to water that you can drink and eat to stay hydrated this summer:

 

Oatmeal

Recipes like cinnamon and pear in your breakfast, together with oatmeal, will give you the needed hydration boost. Oats are 90% water, which is why it is one of the most filling breakfast entrees.

Coconut Water

For people doing light exercises, a glass or two of unsweetened, all-natural coconut water replenishes the body faster, since it is low in carbohydrates but rich in potassium. However, coconut water may not be that filling for more rigorous activities since this drink is low in sodium.

Sports drinks

While water may still be the best for keeping yourself hydrated, strenuous exercises require some more specific hydration, which can be found in sports drinks. According to the American College of Sports Medicine, the right amounts of electrolytes, protein, sugar, and sodium can bring the body’s hydration levels back to balance faster than drinking lots of water.

Balanced Smoothies

Of course, people know smoothies are blends of vegetables and fruits, but good hydration from these drinks still depends on what ingredients you use. For example, a watermelon smoothie is much better at getting you hydrated, since watermelon contains 92 percent water. Vegetables like celery and cucumber are also better ingredients, having water content in the high 90’s.

Skim Milk

Milk is also better than water, according to a study done by McMaster University published on Science Daily. If you choose to rehydrate with milk, it’s more advisable to choose fat-free or skimmed milk because the fat content of regular milk can interrupt the body’s process of replacing fluids.

READ: 5 Reasons Why You Should Give Infused Water a Try

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *