Many treatments fall under the umbrella of Complementary and Alternative Medicine or CAM. Some of the most commonly used CAM therapies include: Acupuncture Chiropractic Food counseling Herbalism Massa...
As adults it is recommended we have at least 150 minutes of physical activity a week to stay healthy. If you want to avoid exercise, you will need to find ways to be more active in your daily routine. The article was co-authored by Michele Dolan.
Listed below are some recommendations for fitting more activity into your day:
- Always take the stairs rather than an elevator or escalator.
- Park further away and take the long way around to the entrance of a building.
- Do your own shopping and forget the free delivery and grocery pickups.
- Walk or bike instead of driving.
- Do not sit for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Walk around more.
- Try using a fitness ball rather than a chair at the office.
- Use walking meetings in lieu of a sit-down meeting with colleagues and friends.
- When waiting around, stand up to burn more calories.
- Avoid the drive-through businesses and go inside to conduct your business.
- Even fidgeting, tapping your toes and drumming your fingers burns calories.
- Do not go from your work desk to the couch at home. Move around first.
- Take walks to the park and different parts of your city. They can be short.
- Try activity games such as Wii Fit, Wii Tennis, dance, dance revolution, etc.
- Tackle those household chores you’ve put off to use up extra energy.
- Always choose those healthy sources of carbohydrates.
- Get up and dance during the commercial breaks.
- Take a dog or pet for a walk. If you don’t have one, walk someone else’s.
- Goof around with your kids in the yard or park. Play games with them outside.
- Buy a ball as they are fun when you’re by yourself, too.
- How about that adult time in the bedroom? No better exercise (or fun).
- Pick veggies and fruits with lots of color for the nutrients you need.
- Choose the low-fat protein or protein with healthy fats rather than saturated.
- Avoid meats that are high in saturated fat.
- Avoid sugar and processed foods when you can.
- Measure those portion sizes to keep within your limits.
- Try eating smaller meals throughout the day and skip those 3 big meals.
- Last but not least, check your caloric intake to maintain your weight.
You can’t be physically fit without eating a balanced diet where the body burns what you consume. Watching your diet and stepping up your normal daily activity should increase your stamina and keep you fit.
Dr Fredda Branyon