I am always looking for good recipes that our cancer patients can use on their diet. Kale is a wonderful nutritional food for the cancer patient. Onions are a natural antibiotic and is great for the inflammation cancer can cause. It is true though, the rawer an onion is, the healthier it is for you. Keep that in mind as you are caramelizing the onions. When you get a chance, try this recipe out.
You will need:
2 tablespoons coconut oil (or olive oil)
6 large shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon lemon juice (no lemon juice concentrate!)
2 bunches Kale (organic when possible)
1/8 teaspoon coarse sea salt or himalayan salt
Freshly ground black pepper (only a little)
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, over medium heat, sauté in 1 tablespoon coconut oil for 6 to 8 minutes or until very soft or caramelized.
- Add the lemon juice and sauté another 2 to 3 minutes to brown.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- Cut and remove the dried stem ends from the kale.
- Put the whole kale leaves in boiling water for 2 to 3 minutes or until tender and bright green.
- Remove from the heat, drain the water, and cut the leaves into bite size pieces.
- Add the kale to the pan with the shallots and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the remaining coconut oil, season to taste with salt and pepper.
Hope you enjoy.
-Dr Fredda Branyon