As any mother would say, I have the best son. His father and I would have never expected that he would be left handed. His father was right handed and I am ambidextrous favoring my right hand. There had been many complaints to us concerning my son’s left handed abilities. For instance, school notebooks were always made for right handed people. Anytime we went to a restaurant and were seated in a booth, he needed to sit in a certain spot so us right handed people didn’t hit his left handed elbow and shove the food down his throat. All you lefties, you know what I’m talking about.
Because I love my son dearly, I was a little disturbed when I heard about the video from the TV show, The Doctors. I started doing a little research to see if it’s true that left handed people have more heart problems, illness and simply do not live as long as right handed people. To my knowledge, I do not remember them teaching this to us in medical school.
Science believes that one or more genes and the environment play an important part to determine which hand will be favored. People who are left handed usually have at least one relative who is also left handed, but scientist still have not found the gene or genes to determine it.
Did you know that ninety percent of the population are right handed and their hair grows or “spins” clockwise? For left handed people, ﬁfty percent of their hair grows clockwise with a “whorl”. Check out your “cow licks” if you have any.
There have been many studies to determine the lifespan of lefties versus right handers. Some studies have found higher death rates in the left handers, some in the right handers, and some found no correlation at all.
Whether we are left handed or right handed, we should not be predicting our demise because of some study or myth. We should all be trying to live a good clean healthy lifestyle. We should all know our health risks and seek appropriate medical attention in order to prevent the onset of any illness.
The following is some more interesting facts or myths about left handed people:
* Tests conducted by St. Lawrence University in New York found that there were more left handed people with IQs over 140 than right handed people.
* Women over 40 who have babies are 128% more likely to have a left handed baby than if she were in her 20s.
* Some famous left handed people include Albert Einstein, Charles Darwin, Benjamin Franklin, and Isaac Newton.
*The Incas thought left handed people were capable of healing and that they possessed many magical abilities.
* The North American Zuni tribe believed left handed people signiﬁed good luck.
* Studies have suggested that left handers are more talented in spatial awareness, architecture, and math.
* Left handedness runs in the family. Britain’s royal family of lefties includes the Queen Mother, Queen Elizabeth II, Prince Charles, and Prince William.
* Many left handers will draw ﬁgures that face to the right.
* Connections between the right and left sides of the brain are faster in left handed people.