Are you still trying to eat better and healthier? I know, it’s hard. So many people have explained to me that they just have a hard time thinking of snacks to replace the cookies, cake and ice cream. I’ve listed a few easy things that may help.
– “Ants on a log”- spread a nut butter such as almond butter onto a celery stick and roll it in raisins.
– “Banana ice cream”- peel a number of very ripe bananas (almost too ripe). Break them into one-inch pieces and freeze. When you need a sweet icy snack, pull out a few frozen bananas and put in the blender or the “nutra-blender”. The nutra-blender is a quick clean up. Blend the bananas with a very small amount of water or juice. Serve immediately. You can add carob powder, a ﬂavored liquid stevia like the chocolate raspberry, or frozen berries to the blender for different ﬂavors.
– Sticks of carrot, celery,jicama, cucumber, red, yellow, or green bell peppers.
– Sprouted Essene bread and apple slices. You can get Essene bread at most local health food grocery stores.
– Whole grain crackers with almond butter or a nut butter.
-Almonds and raisins mixture.
-Air popped popcorn
– Cupcakes made using whole grain ﬂour and honey or molasses as the sweetener
– Popsicles made with fresh, unsweetened juice frozen in popsicle makers
-Frozen blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, banana chunks
-Herb teas frozen to make popsicles
– Here is a “special occasion candy” recipe:
1 cup natural almond butter or a nut butter
1/2 cup carob powder
1/2 cup ripe mashed banana
2 tsp. natural vanilla
Mix all the ingredients. Shape into balls and roll in cinnamon or unsweetened coconut. Press a walnut half into the center top. Store in refrigerator.
Try your hand at being creative. It just takes a few minutes to concentrate on it and you may surprise yourself with a great snack you can come up with.